Landing team 04.05.14

Hello everyone,

Still no promotions happening today. Sadly we will most likely enter
another TRAINCON-0 mode soon due to the lack of promotions. Besides some
other infrastructure issues that we have been seeing, we now also
noticed a serious regression in the images. Alan reported some memory
leaks happening causing the phone to go out of memory after an all-night
idle.

This seems to be very serious. We are not sure yet when it started
happening, if it's reproducible all the time and what is the component
responsible though. We would be grateful for help in finding the culprit
and fixing the underlying issue.
Thank you!

In the meantime we had #64 built. This image has the new UITK release
and a partial landing of the big upstart-app-launch -> ubuntu-app-launch
rename. The whole changeset for this switch will be available in the
next image. Image #65, which we plan to kick in the nearest minutes,
will have some fixes for regressions caused by the greeter landing -
which we are anticipating very much. This will most likely also fix the
race that causes indicators not appearing on the greeter from time to time.

Another notice to all upstream developers that are landing things into
our touch images. During those many emergency firefighting sessions we
had we noticed that many packages lack meaningful changelog (commit)
messages for their changes. This makes debugging for third-party
developers much harder. A changelog entry should be written in such a
way that it gives an idea on what changed for a developer that does not
necessarily know the codebase. Especially dependency changes!
So please, if you could put more love into your changelog/commit
messages we would be really happy.
A CI Train modification will try to help out with this, but still... we
would appreciate if this could be taken into consideration.

Today we also start the mechanism of 'time counting' for smaller spotted
issues. Let's see how it goes.

Having that said... let's move on with our favorite list:

* Links to auto-generated commit-logs of recent images:
(Host might change in the nearest time)
http://people.canonical.com/~lzemczak/landing-team/64.commitlog

* Link to the smoketesting board:
http://ci.ubuntu.com/smokeng/utopic/touch/

* Some useful documentation:
(Still under development)
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/citrain/ComponentSupportList

* Known issues:

** webapp-container leaks memory over time on #64 (can be potentially a
problem in other places as well)
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/webbrowser-app/+bug/1326378
 -> Critical promotion blocker (if double confirmed), can anyone take a
look and help identifying ASAP? David? Thomas?

** Pictures taken with flash are almost completely black (Bill)
https://bugs.launchpad.net/camera-app/+bug/1322121
 -> Camera-app might be rewritten soon

** Some issues related to the greeter landing
 -> Fixes ready to land into #65

* Issues not impacting user experience
(will become blockers if not fixed after a while):

** File manager flaky test (Julien)
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-filemanager-app/+bug/1316677
[Time counter: 1/7]
 -> Possible bug identified, looking for someone who could dig into
deeper and propose a fix

** Terminal app issues with responsiveness and usability
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-terminal-app/+bug/1322529
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-terminal-app/+bug/1322527
 -> Can anyone confirm if those are fixed?

** Failing ubuntu-system-settings *tz* tests
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-system-settings/+bug/1319711
[Time counter: 1/7]
 -> Earlier identified as flaky, not reproducible locally, but happens
more frequently on smoketesting recently

Thanks!

Best regards,

--
Łukasz 'sil2100' Zemczak