Re: Background services: a problem that we need to face

On 24 Jun 2014 10:47, "Matthew Paul Thomas" <mpt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Fabio Colella wrote on 23/06/14 10:32:

> >> On Sun, Jun 22, 2014 at 5:43 PM, Fabio Colella
> >> <fcole90@xxxxxxxxx
> >>
> >> The download service should be a good starting point here, with
> >> background synchronization being somewhat an exception.
>
> <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DownloadService/Download> does not say
> anything about which protocols the download service implements. (FTP?
> SFTP? HTTP with digest auth?) But since it asks for an "url", I doubt
> it would be any help for a torrent client.

It supports http, https and FTP (i need to test SFTP). At The moment it
does not support any other protocols, that does not mean it should not,
that is, a developer that wants to add torrent support he can always add it
in the service or request it to be added and I'll do my best to get it in
place.

And this can be a general rule, if a service is as generic as the download
manager it should be extended whenever is needed (and is a reasonable
request).