Re: Background services: a problem that we need to face

On Tue, 2014-06-24 at 09:29 +0100, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
> One problem with this approach is that users wouldn't be able to make
> an informed decision. What would be the harm of saying yes? Less
> battery life, but how much less? Nobody would know.

This is my main problem with the current app lifecycle design. It
doesn't allow a user to have control over whether they use more or less
battery life. We're trying to provide a chastity belt for it, and never
giving the choice. Yes, if I go running, or biking, or hiking, or
driving around, and use certain apps to do data logging or other things,
my battery might not last as long. But I also can plug my phone into the
charging port in my car, or put a generator on my bicycle, or build a
kinetic generator to use when running, to help balance the extra usage.

It's fine if my app that uses extra battery is confined, and that a
notice of extra power consumption is presented to the user when it is
installed, but there needs to be a way for me to provide a background
process which can run all the time if necessary, to do certain things.