Re: Background services: a problem that we need to face

On 06/25/2014 05:36 AM, Florian Will wrote:

> Obviously, most users are not interested in control and transparency, they just
> want a phone that works and lasts long with a single charge. So I do accept the
> very strict and conservative Ubuntu Touch approach. Nobody uses XMPP or IRC
> anyways, and WhatsApp will happily send push notifications.

I don't think this is true at all. I want a phone that works /and/ lasts long on
a single charge /and/ apps that can handle IRC and XMPP. I don't think this is
too much to ask*. I can imagine being told that I'm unusual because I am a
developer, but we shouldn't rule out entire classes of people-- we want everyone
to delight in Ubuntu devices and we need developers to use the phone so they
want to develop apps on it.

* note, I am deliberately not talking about implementation details like
application lifecycle and background services, I'm just speaking to this one
point (and it sounds to me like the architecture will allow for it)