Re: Background services: a problem that we need to face

On miércoles 25 de junio de 2014 15h'11:58 ART, Rodney Dawes wrote:
On Wed, 2014-06-25 at 13:23 -0400, Marc Deslauriers wrote:
So I gather you have the same problem on iOS, as much of the same limitations
exist there?

I don't now, nor have I ever, owned any iOS devices. Nor have I
developed any apps for them. I do know that the types of apps I want to
write, do exist on iOS though, so clearly there must be some way to run
background services on iOS, even if it simply means that an app with
full UI is running in the background.

For example: http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/ot2.php

It runs pretty much like ours...

https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/iphone/conceptual/iphoneosprogrammingguide/ManagingYourApplicationsFlow/ManagingYourApplicationsFlow.html

Under: "Implementing Long-Running Background Tasks"

reads...
Apps that implement these services must declare the services they support and use system frameworks to implement the relevant aspects of those services.

There are plans for most except this one I believe (which was introduced in iOS 7):

Background fetch: The app regularly downloads and processes small amounts of content from the network.