Re: Background services: a problem that we need to face

On Wed, 2014-06-25 at 17:10 -0300, Sergio Schvezov wrote:
> On miércoles 25 de junio de 2014 16h'29:10 ART, Rodney Dawes wrote:
> > On Wed, 2014-06-25 at 14:44 -0400, Marc Deslauriers wrote:
> >> On 14-06-25 02:11 PM, Rodney Dawes wrote: ...
> >
> > No. It means the app is running, whether it is in the foreground or
> > background. It doesn't need to be the current foreground app. Running
> > apps, the automotive data logging app I linked, etc… continue running
> > even in the background, to be able to monitor location, log performance
> > data from BT/ANT+ devices, and perform actions based on location or the
> > data stream from a connected device.
>
> Please take the time to read the full length of the document I linked to.
>
> In there you will see that most of the stuff is in progress of being
> implemented; For location you want to tie into the equivalent of the
> location service and tell it to wake up every x distance; similarly done
> for other services.

No, I don't want a geofence. I want it to wake up whenever there is a
change from the location service. The same way it works in iOS.

For monitoring a data stream from a bluetooth device for example, I'd
want my app to be waked whenever new data is delivered to the socket,
and for my app to have sufficient time to process that data before being
suspended again.

> iOS does kill your app (as described in the documentation) and the user has
> the illusion of it still running thanks to the provided services.

No, it suspends the app, and wakes it when necessary. It is only
actually killed if no background processing is happening.

With the way we are suspending apps that are not in the foreground, we
could do the same waking when needed that iOS does for those apps.