Re: Fixed gdb should deal better with ARM crash reports

On Tue, Jul 01, 2014 at 11:21:39AM -0600, Oliver Ries wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 1:01 AM, Martin Pitt <martin.pitt@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Brian tracked down a gdb regression which caused the totally useless
> > stack traces on ARM. It seems we lost a patch somewhere in trusty [1].
> > Many thanks!

> > There is an SRU for that now, and I updated the Launchpad crash
> > retracers to the fixed version.

> > As a result of that, it would be helpful to actually do upload crashes
> > that you see on the phone. They ought to get retraced much better now
> > so hopefully help making bug fixing easier, and that'll also help to
> > check if there are any other issues in the crash reporting tool chain.

> do we have a regression suite for gdb to track such issues, I would imagine
> upstream has a large number of tests we could add this one to.

Unfortunately the nature of this bug makes it somewhat impervious to an
upstream test suite, because any test would necessarily be skipped when the
relevant targets are not enabled at build time - and the bug/regression was
that our gdb-multiarch build was not enabling the right targets.

We do have some apport test crashes that I think should be wired up to
autopkgtest for apport or gdb.  Brian, would those have caught this
particular regression?

slangasek@xxxxxxxxxx                                     vorlon@xxxxxxxxxx