Re: ANN: developer mode backend landed

hi,
Am Montag, den 23.06.2014, 09:30 -0300 schrieb Sergio Schvezov:

> If you find yourself in need of enabling again, you can either reflash with
> ubuntu-device-flash (from recovery with no need of --wipe) with
> --developer-mode or you can use the included terminal app and run
>
>     sudo setprop persist.sys.usb.config mtp
>
> The UI is pending, but should land in the System Setting in some form (we
> may hold on to the landing depending on this as well).

one obstacle in implementing developer mode was the requirement to be
root to use setprop.
with image 108 the new dbus-property-service landed which allows the
user to toggle a few selected properties via dbus commands (which the
system-settings UI will eventually hook into)

while you now can do something like the following:

dbus-send --system --print-reply \
--dest="com.canonical.PropertyService" /com/canonical/PropertyService \
com.canonical.PropertyService.SetProperty string:mtp boolean:false

(which would disable mtp), the package also ships a script to easily
enable and disable the different options of the android gadget driver.
just use:

phablet@ubuntu-phablet:~$ android-gadget-service help
usage: android-gadget-service [enable|disable|status] [adb|mtp|ptp|
rndis]

the UI implementation for this with a toggle switch to enable adb in
system-settings will follow soon.

note that by requirement of the security team a future iteration (before
RTM) will only allow to change the gadget properties once there is a
screen locking mechanism enabled, users without this are not supposed to
be able to enable developer mode at all.

the code can be pulled via: bzr branch lp:dbus-property-service

ciao
	oli