Re: Programmatically unlocking Unity for testing

hi,
Am Mittwoch, den 02.07.2014, 09:21 -0400 schrieb Michael Terry:
> On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 3:44 AM, Martin Pitt <martin.pitt@xxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>         Hello all,
>
>         with autopkgtest now being able to run click tests on the
>         phone [1]
>         I'd like to fine-tune the ADB setup script to require less
>         manual
>         action.
>
>         One outstanding issue is to unlock Unity before starting a
>         test. I
>         know the unity8-autopilot package ships a
>         /usr/share/unity8/unlock-device script; the setup script could
>         certainly download/unpack that package and run the script, but
>         that's
>         ugly in several ways:
>
>          - The script reboots the phone; surely there is a way to
>         unlock Unity
>            without having to do that? This adds a whole minute to
>            each test run, and also destroys any other runtime setup
>         that might
>            have been done before.
>

> I helped move the logic out of phablet-tools into unity8-autopilot.  I
> wanted to be able to change the script as split greeter landed without
> phablet-tools caring about the implementation.  And the QA folks
> seemed happy to have less unity8 logic in phablet-tools itself too.

the big issue with that is that this means we have to have
unity8-autopilot installed during all test suites we run in smoketesting
now ... which means that we have different setups between testing at
home or in the lab (testing a click package does not need the device to
be writable for example, but for testing in the lab you need to install
unity8-autopilot to be able to have the test run on an unlocked
device).

this feature was way better suited inside phablet-tools IMHO ...

ciao
	oli