Heads-Up: GPRS (aka Mobile Internet) Provisioning Change

Just wanted to give people a heads-up that we're once again making a change to our provisioning strategy related to GPRS ( aka Mobile Internet via the cellular connection ).

We currently use the apns-conf.xml database of APNs that exists in /system/etc, however we also as a fall-back query the mobile-broadband-provider-info db ( aka mbpi; used by default on the desktop by NetworkManager/ModemManager ).

Note - this change will only affect users that flash fresh images using --bootstrap or --wipe, or those that follow the silo testing instructions below.

We're removing support for mbpi, as there are instances where it leads to duplicate APNs, which in turn can cause issues with MMS support.

For the gory details, please refer to:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ofono/+bug/1324157

At the same time, we've also added customization hooks for APN provisioning that can be leveraged by OEMs:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ofono/+bug/1315509

If you'd like to help test the changes, the pending version of ofono can be installed from silo-015:

https://launchpad.net/~ci-train-ppa-service/+archive/ubuntu/landing-015

To test, you need to:

1. stop ofono
2. edit the file /var/lib/ofono/<IMSI>/gprs and remove any [contextN] stanzas found.
3. start ofono
4. verify that the gprs file was repopulated correctly ( either directly, or via the /usr/share/ofono/scripts/list-contexts )

If this results in any kind of provisionin failure, feel free to respond to this email directly, or more preferably, file a bug against ofono:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ofono/+filebug

If provisioning fails, the most important details are the MobileCountryCode and MobileNetworkCode from the SIM. You can get these by running /usr/share/ofono/scripts/list-modems, or even better grab the "Provisioning..." message from the syslog.

Eg.

Jul 17 11:54:41 ubuntu-phablet ofonod[1179]: Provisioning for MCC 310, MNC 410, SPN '(null)', IMSI '310410674422772', GID1 'FFFF'

Thanks!
/tony