Re: Can't change Channel in Dualboot

On Jul 29, 2014, at 12:46 PM, Larry Griffin wrote:

>I have a problem setting up a Nexus 7 WIFI to Dualboot. I'd like to use it to
>help with testing. I originally installed dualboot on this Nexus 7 about two
>months ago, and it used the trusty channel. Now I can't change the channel to
>utopic. I'm in Android, bring up Dualboot, uninstall, then when it ask for
>channel it displays trusty. I can move though the different variations of
>trusty and it all works. When I back out trusty, I can't input utopic,
>Dualboot doesn't accept the keyboard input.

I don't dual boot - I've only ever flashed my device using
ubuntu-device-flash, which takes a --channel argument.  So something like this
will flash you to utopic:

$ ubuntu-device-flash --channel ubuntu-touch/utopic

Note the extended channel name containing a slash.  Channels were renamed a
while ago.  ubuntu-device-flash has a --list-channels option you can use to
list all available channels.

If you have shell access to your device, once you're booted into Ubuntu, you
can use the system-image-cli command to switch channels too.  Read the
system-image-cli manpage for more details, however it's pretty easy.

To see all available channels:

$ system-image-cli --list-channels

To switch channels, e.g.:

$ system-image-cli --switch ubuntu-touch/utopic

However, note that --switch only works with system-image 2.3.1 which isn't
available in Trusty.  No matter; --switch is just an alias for

$ system-image-cli -b 0 -c ubuntu-touch/utopic

Cheers,
-Barry