Re: Landing team 01.08.14

* Łukasz 'sil2100' Zemczak <lukasz.zemczak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Still no promotion - more and more blockers are getting
> identified. The emulator images seem to be haunted by some
> visible regressions that we would need fixed before proceeding,
> not to mention the many reproducible autopilot issues that are
> still seen on the smoketesting dashboard.
>
> Let's work together on getting those resolved next week. We
> don't want to have another TRAINCON-0 because of no promotions
> just after such a small period of time now do we? Especially so
> close to RTM!

Image 166 is looking significantly better than the past few
before it.  Of particular note is that the method for listing
open apps and closing them is completely different now (and much
better!).  The old way was:

  - Full-swipe from the left to go to the apps scope.  Notice how
    open apps are listed at the top of the app scope.
  - Tap and hold on an open app's screenshot icon
  - Tap the red X which appears in the corner of the icon(s).

The new way is:

  - Full-swipe from the right to display the 3D stack of open
    apps.
  - Slide the unwanted app up or down to dismiss it, which also
    closes the app.

This new approach is much faster, easier, and less error-prone.
There is no need to tap-and-hold, which is slow and often fails
because the phone detects even slight movements as a drag instead
of a hold.

I've seen a couple cases where the 3D app stack is displayed in
not-3D, which seems like a bug, but I haven't figured out how to
trigger it on purpose.

However, I did confirm and file several other new bugs in image
166...

- WAPs are sorted alphabetically instead of by signal strength
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/indicator-network/+bug/1348265

- Location indicator boxes don't stay checked any more
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/indicator-location/+bug/1248973

- Can't get cell data service to work on either of my phones,
  with either SIM (AT&T or T-Mobile, both via Straight Talk)
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/android-src-vendor/+bug/1351434

- calls can be accepted during setup wizard, but no dialer is
  shown so the user can't hang up
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/dialer-app/+bug/1351532

- doesn't detect time zone after flashing
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-system-settings/+bug/1351534

- "Settings -> Accounts -> Back" showed a black screen for 18
  seconds and left a crash dump file (and then the settings app
  couldn't launch the account settings any more)
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-system-settings-online-accounts/+bug/1287736

- "departments" is an awkward way to say "categories"
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity-scope-click/+bug/1351536

- in app store scope, can't tap to view preview images at regular size
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity-scope-click/+bug/1351537

- Online content scopes don't display anything to indicate that they're loading content.
  (go to the app store, and it's just blank for like 10 seconds)
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity8/+bug/1351539

... and given the new functionality in the right-edge app
switcher, we might want to reconsider what we tell the user
during the welcome tutorial.  It suggests that the right edge is
only used for unlocking/dismissing the welcome screen.
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity8/+bug/1288549

-- Selene