Re: Developer mode, ADB and SSH

On 08/04/2014 01:47 PM, Marc Deslauriers wrote:
> On 14-08-04 07:42 AM, David Planella wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> With the recent landing of the developer mode UI and from previous discussions
>> on the list and on IRC, I understand that:
>>
>> - ADB will be disabled by default, but can be enabled/disabled using the switch
>> in the developer mode
>> - SSH will be disabled by default and there is no UI to enable/disable it.
>> However, it can be enabled from an adb shell session issuing the 'setprop
>> persist.service.ssh true' command.
>>
>> I also understand the rationale that most things can be accomplished with ADB
>> and power users can simply enable SSH over the terminal.
>>
>> However, given the fact that Qt Creator uses both ADB (for SSH key exchange) and
>> SSH (for app deployment), this introduces another manual step before being able
>> to develop apps with a device, making the app developer experience a bit more
>> cumbersome. The SDK tell me that it'd be technically possible to migrate to ADB
>> only, but that there'd be some issues with adb port forwarding and the emulator
>> (they can expand on this better than I).
>>
>> Is there a way developer mode can work better with Qt Creator, so that the
>> developer only has to worry about flicking a switch on the device?
>>
> Why doesn't the SDK simply turn on ssh? The SDK is required to do the ssh key
> exchange anyway.
Because turning on SSH requires to have root privs.
But adb from now on will only log in as the phablet user. So we would
need to ask the
password from the user and then somehow echo it into the sudo we need to
execute on the
phone over adb.
This does not sounds very clean nor secure imho.

Or maybe I'm missing a possibility to do this in a clean and secure way?

Also keep in mind that the user will not be able to disable SSH without
logging into the device manually and
issue the command into a terminal.

Benjamin