Re: Developer mode, ADB and SSH

Hi David,

On Mon, Aug 04, 2014 at 01:42:11PM +0200, David Planella wrote:
> Hi all,

> With the recent landing of the developer mode UI and from previous
> discussions on the list and on IRC, I understand that:

> - ADB will be disabled by default, but can be enabled/disabled using the
> switch in the developer mode
> - SSH will be disabled by default and there is no UI to enable/disable it.
> However, it can be enabled from an adb shell session issuing the 'setprop
> persist.service.ssh true' command.

> I also understand the rationale that most things can be accomplished with
> ADB and power users can simply enable SSH over the terminal.

> However, given the fact that Qt Creator uses both ADB (for SSH key
> exchange) and SSH (for app deployment), this introduces another manual step
> before being able to develop apps with a device, making the app developer
> experience a bit more cumbersome. The SDK tell me that it'd be technically
> possible to migrate to ADB only, but that there'd be some issues with adb
> port forwarding and the emulator (they can expand on this better than I).

> Is there a way developer mode can work better with Qt Creator, so that the
> developer only has to worry about flicking a switch on the device?

In order to be able to do automated testing, there must be a way to
provision phones using ubuntu-device-flash such that adb is enabled from the
beginning, because interacting with the screen is not an option.

Since this provisioning option must exist, should this be used automatically
within the SDK when provisioning emulator instances?

slangasek@xxxxxxxxxx                                     vorlon@xxxxxxxxxx