Re: How to query the type of device in use?

On 13 August 2014 17:19, Stephen M. Webb <stephen.webb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 08/13/2014 10:00 AM, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > We have a few settings bugs like
> >
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-system-settings/+bug/1258211
> > " "About this phone" makes no sense on other devices"
> >
> > The design recommendation for that one is to use "about this phone" on a
> > phone and "about this device" on tablets/desktops/etc
> >
> > Is there an api/documented way to query the "type of device" in use we
> > could use for that?
>
> Big problem is we're not targeting a "device" or "form factor" or any of
> those things.  Anything that depends on knowing
> the form factor or device already has a serious bug.
>
> When I tap on "About this phone" on my Nexus 4 it tells me I'm using an
> "LGE Nexus 4" and when I tap it on my Lenovo
> Yoga 2 Pro it tells me I'm on a "Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro".  Obviously the API is
> there to get that information, perhaps that's
> what should be displayed as the "About this Phone" instead of the work
> "Phone."

Could it test for hardware features rather than form factor? E.g. display
"About this device" by default and only display "About this phone" when the
device in question has telephony hardware? Of course this logic may
completely fall apart on tablets and laptops that have a built in 3G/4G
adapter.

Alternatively, use the generic "About this device".

Bruno