Re: ownCloud app.

W dniu 29.08.2014 o 13:51, Mitchell Reese pisze:
On Android you basically point to app to your installation, and it does
the rest - not entirely sure how that works. I.e. -
https://yoururl/owncloud
Once that's done, the user chooses their addressbooks and calendars -
ideal solution really, though I'm unsure of the code to get there.

This is just listing the available folders on the remote side under /carddav/addressbooks/$username/ - unless addressbooks is different per language, too, but I doubt it? In any case, if you have someone else's address book shared (same applies to calendar), they'll most probably be accessible under /carddav/addressbooks/$different_username/. So the UI to allow you selecting which should be available would have to traverse the available paths starting with one of the above.

You can actually see what's available if you go to (in Nautilus):
davs://your-owncloud/location/remote.php/

If you don't have https, use dav:// instead. It looks like just traversing isn't an option, some names (like carddav and username) you need to know beforehand, unless there's some other way to ask ownCloud for those...

/Love this concept, but I wonder if we might start running into some
trouble with an app that's not /baked-in/. I.e., if file sync is
dependent on a third party click package, won't we run into the app
restrictions inherent to third party apps? I know the ebook program Beru
has had this issue - it can only browse files in it's own directory.
There are work arounds, but they're fiddly. While I get the security
viewpoint, I think there needs to be a way for apps to gain exception to
this - currently this doesn't seem to exist. Can any devs out there
point out a way around this? Syncing files only in the
"~/.local/com.developer.appdirectory" isn't all that useful. What
implementations exist/are planned, to get around this?

Of course it is useful. The ownCloud app needs to be both a consumer and provider in the content hub. If you want to use a file you have stored in ownCloud in some other app, you pull it through the content hub. If you want to put a file from another app in ownCloud, you push it through the content hub to ownCloud and that uploads it up.

If you wanted automatic sharing from an app, you'd set it up in that app, selecting ownCloud (and a folder) as the target. And vice-versa you could set up a folder to auto-sync to an app. Not all of that is possible yet, but the story is there.

Inside the ownCloud app you could select only a few folders to be auto-synced, but through content hub you'd have access to the whole set, and only when you pushed a file to one of the apps is when it would get downloaded.

Sounds like work, sure, but the experience can end up really slick, still keeping security in mind :).
--
Michał (Saviq) Sawicz <michal.sawicz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Canonical Services Ltd.