Re: Webapp Development

On Sat, Oct 11, 2014 at 1:06 AM, Mitchell Reese
<projects@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 10/10/14 22:51, Olivier Tilloy wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 1:23 PM, Mitchell Reese
>> <projects@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Trying this now, and am a bit lost. Am I using this code with the
>>> webapp-container itself, or in the webapps being created in the sdk? No
>>> obvious options for where to use this, so I'm missing something entirely.
>>> Has this been implemented on a basic level within the webapp template
>>> files
>>> in the sdk (i.e., can I add an option to one of the obvious files), or do
>>> need to add this code to the webapp-container itself?
>>
>> The DOM fullscreen API applies to the webapp itself, i.e. the app has
>> to request fullscreen from JS code. If you don’t control the code of
>> the webapp but still want to make it fullscreen, this is not an
>> option.
>>
>> The webapp-container has a '--fullscreen' command-line switch that
>> would do the trick, if it wasn’t broken (tracked by
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/webbrowser-app/+bug/1379766).
>
> Have added to this bug - would be great to see it fixed. For now, have added
> this tag to my application for when it gets fixed. Affects the polished look
> of Ubuntu webapps, but not functionality. What /would/ be awesome is buit-in
> functionality where rotating the device to landscape causes the app to
> become fullscreen, and rotating it back to portrait shows the notification
> bar.

I don’t think there’s anything like that planned, but feel free to
file a bug to request it, and we’ll consider it.

> Also, is there any functionality planned to make it easy to change the
> time-out of the screen? Not sure if it's in the design time-line, but love
> the idea of apps being able to say whether they want the screen to time-out.
> Thinking specifically of the ABC 4 Kids webapp I just published - fine for
> games when the kids are interacting with the screen, but when watching a
> video the screen times out after a minute (my default settings). I can of
> course change this in the phone settings, but would be nice for the app to
> have an option for this.

That’s https://launchpad.net/bugs/1375195 : playing back a video in a
webapp should inhibit screen blanking, apps shouldn’t have to do
anything to request it.