Re: Default browser behavior

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 4:29 PM, Mitchell Reese
<dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Is there any easy way to hack the browser so it use a different search
engine? I use google as little as possible. Am also keen to change the
default page of my own setup.

Happy at having a go if someone can point me in the right direction.
You won’t need to hack anything :)
The browser app already supports a couple of configurable settings,
even though it doesn’t have a UI for them yet. It’s all explained in
the README file in the source code:
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~phablet-team/webbrowser-app/trunk/view/head:/README#L71.

Cheers,

  Olivier
Have got it partly working. Have created ~/.config/webbrowser-app/settings.conf and added:

homepage=https://duckduckgo.com
searchengine=duck

Homepage works on initial startup, however due to the bowser always 'remembering' the previous site browsed, this is almost never seen. Changing the default search engine is more problematic. Following this advice in the link above:

 -  'searchengine':  a  custom  search  engine  specification,  looked  up  in
   $HOME/.local/share/webbrowser-app/searchengines/{value}.xml  and  following
   the  OpenSearch  document  description  format
   (http://www.opensearch.org/Specifications/OpenSearch/1.1)

I added a ~/.local/share/webbrowser-app/searchengines/duck.xml file, and filled it with:

 <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
 <OpenSearchDescription xmlns="http://a9.com/-/spec/opensearch/1.1/";>
   <ShortName>Duck Search</ShortName>
   <Description>Search Duck Duck Go</Description>
   <Url type="text/html"
        template="https://duckduckgo.com/?q={searchTerms}"/>
   <AdultContent>false</AdultContent>
   <Language>en-au</Language>
   <OutputEncoding>UTF-8</OutputEncoding>
   <InputEncoding>UTF-8</InputEncoding>
 </OpenSearchDescription>

Still defaulting to google search. What am I doing wrong?