Re: Default browser behavior

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 6:13 PM, Mitchell Reese
<dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 4:29 PM, Mitchell Reese
>> <dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> Is there any easy way to hack the browser so it use a different search
>>> engine? I use google as little as possible. Am also keen to change the
>>> default page of my own setup.
>>>
>>> Happy at having a go if someone can point me in the right direction.
>>
>> You won’t need to hack anything :)
>> The browser app already supports a couple of configurable settings,
>> even though it doesn’t have a UI for them yet. It’s all explained in
>> the README file in the source code:
>>
>> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~phablet-team/webbrowser-app/trunk/view/head:/README#L71.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>>   Olivier
>
> Have got it partly working. Have created
> ~/.config/webbrowser-app/settings.conf and added:
>
> homepage=https://duckduckgo.com
> searchengine=duck
>
> Homepage works on initial startup, however due to the bowser always
> 'remembering' the previous site browsed, this is almost never seen.

Indeed. If you run the browser from the command-line with the
"--new-session" parameter, it will forget about previously open tabs
and it will default to the homepage again.

Changing
> the default search engine is more problematic. Following this advice in the
> link above:
>
>  -  'searchengine':  a  custom  search  engine  specification,  looked  up
> in
>    $HOME/.local/share/webbrowser-app/searchengines/{value}.xml  and
> following
>    the  OpenSearch  document  description  format
>    (http://www.opensearch.org/Specifications/OpenSearch/1.1)
>

> I added a ~/.local/share/webbrowser-app/searchengines/duck.xml file, and
> filled it with:
>
>  <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>  <OpenSearchDescription xmlns="http://a9.com/-/spec/opensearch/1.1/";>
>    <ShortName>Duck Search</ShortName>
>    <Description>Search Duck Duck Go</Description>
>    <Url type="text/html"
>         template="https://duckduckgo.com/?q={searchTerms}"/>
>    <AdultContent>false</AdultContent>
>    <Language>en-au</Language>
>    <OutputEncoding>UTF-8</OutputEncoding>
>    <InputEncoding>UTF-8</InputEncoding>
>  </OpenSearchDescription>
>
> Still defaulting to google search. What am I doing wrong?

I just tested on my krillin with this exact content, and search is
performed by DuckDuckGo. Did you restart the browser after creating
those files?