ANNOUNCEMENT: Vivid and ubuntu-rtm landing procedures

Hello everyone,

Since we have now released utopic and opened up the next series - vivid,
this means some things need to change in the landing process as well.
All landers please read on!

First of all: for now we still need everyone actively working on
ubuntu-rtm as this is the archive that is used in the images targeting
RTM. This means only the packages that ultimately land in 14.09 will be
available for the end client to see - at least for now.

Because vivid is a brand new series, some parts of the toolchain can
differ from what we have in ubuntu-rtm. Therefore we can no longer (or
at least no longer should) do the standard thing as before with binary
copies from the currently developed series (vivid) to 14.09. We no
longer can be as certain of complete binary compatibility.
It is worth nothing though that upstreams that have really good
understanding of their dependencies would still be able to do binary
copies, but it is not recommended.

What does this basically mean?

 * Vivid is the main development platform for new features
 - All new features not covered by critical rtm14 Product Team accepted
bugs can land freely in vivid.

 * For most cases separate branches for trunk and 14.09 recommended
 - For the majority of projects the best and safest way is to have
separate branches for 14.09 (ubuntu-rtm) and vivid (trunk, ubuntu). We
must assume that everyone will want to work on future features and trunk
(vivid) is the right place to do that.
With this setup it is easy to cherry-pick only the most important and
safest changes to the ubuntu-rtm branch, making sure we do not regress
image quality or taint it with new untested features at any time.

Of course, our goal is still to avoid regressing in vivid as well. We
know that's harder because of all the new feature work, and there will
be regressions from time to time; but we also know we can count on your
help to minimize these regressions for vivid as well.

We would also like to ask everyone to follow a SRU-like workflow here:
any change lands in vivid (trunk) first and only afterwards gets
cherry-picked into the 14.09 branch (and released to ubuntu-rtm).

 * In certain cases: one trunk, vivid landing first + source sync to RTM
 - Even though we hope this will not be required, we still accept the
possibility of a project whose development is all targeted for
ubuntu-rtm. In this case the upstream project would have one trunk that
would be released into vivid and every landing source-synced into
ubuntu-rtm.

 * Ubuntu-RTM stays in the same safe landing state
 - As mentioned before, ubuntu-rtm can only have landings that are on
the list of critical rtm14 approved bugs. This also means that
ubuntu-rtm stays in the same QA sign-off needed state as before, each
landing requiring a check from QA.

I hope this clears up the new process to some extent. We will update
our wiki documentation as well.

Thank you.

Best regards,

--