Re: Developer mode, and when ADB is enabled

Am 12.02.2015 um 08:48 schrieb Joey Chan:
Maybe show more necessary info about the USB connection, just like Android & IOS, "USB connected, do you trust this machine ? xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx(mac or sth else)"

Yeah that can be done I guess, but is that really necessary? If I plug in the USB cable by hand I know what machine I'm connecting to right? And if I don't trust the machine I should not plug in my phone at all :) or select "charge only" mode.

    Hello all,

    currently we have the following situation on the phone:

    1. If developer mode is disabled, you can not connect to ADB.
    2. If developer mode is enabled by hand in the settings, you can
    connect to ADB
        only if the screen is on and unlocked.
    3. If developer mode is enabled by setting the --developer-mode
    switch while
        flashing you can always connect to ADB.

    I think 2 and 3 are both solutions that work but should not stay
    forever. Especially nr 2 because
    its hard to understand whats happening if its not explained to
    you. And even if there is documentation
    about it, its hard to miss.
    Nr 3 is problematic, if you are a developer you probably will
    flash your device with that switch
    but by that open it up to the entire world. Why should we not
    provide security for developers as well?

    Instead the proposal would be to drop 2 and 3, but instead do the
    following:

    If developer mode is enabled (in system settings manually or with
    the --developer-mode switch) adb is
    disabled as long as there is no USB plugged in. When the user
    plugs in the usb cable a dialog pops up
    that asks the user:

    "USB connected, choose the mode you want to use: Developer mode,
    Data transfer, Just charging".
    The user can of course only choose the mode AFTER he has unlocked
    the device at least once.
    ADB now stays enabled until the USB cable is removed.

    Any thoughts about this?

    Benjamin

    <https://launchpad.net/%7Eubuntu-phone>
    <mailto:ubuntu-phone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>