Re: Troubleshooting New Port

A brief history lesson.

1. When I posted the port to the Tab 2 7.0, it wasn't some fringe piece of
equipment no one had heard of, it was the best-selling 7" tablet in the
world. In June of 2013, the port stopped working with the latest Touch
builds, which suggested that the problem was with a change Canonical had
made to the Touch builds. A request for help posted to this list to get to
the bottom of the issue was ignored.

2. Following normal protocol, I posted a bug report about the problem,
including full logs. The bug report has been ingnored since July of 2013.

3. Despite statements made from time to time in this list that a new
porting guide would be posted, that never happened. Instead, the old
porting guide was listed as "deprecated", and a "Coming soon" page was
posted instead.

4. Other people, from time-to-time, post requests for help in porting on
this list, all of which are ignored.

Simply put, I think you are wrong when you talk about Canonical employees
helping the community; rather, the community is expected to help Canonical.
You may say something like, "Hey, but we help people when they are trying
to get their apps working on Touch!", but I notice that only happens when
it's an app that has broad appeal, and it should be obvious that the more
apps that are available, the more likely that Ubuntu Touch will be
successful.

It is noteworthy that there seems to be no interest on Canonical's part to
port some of the shiny new scopes developed for the Bq device to the Nexus
devices that are supposedly fully supported. Again, the community is
expected to help Canonical, not the other way around (unless such help is
ultimately in Canonical's financial best interests).

On Feb 12, 2015 7:24 AM, "Chris Wayne" <chris.wayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> That's really not fair to say, there are really only a few people that
have the domain knowledge of bringing up a new device, and they are quite
often helping the community in addition to their (more than) full-time work
at Canonical

> On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 7:19 AM, John Nelson <thatguruguy@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>> From my experience with porting Ubuntu Touch to the Samsung Tab 2 7.0,
unsupported devices (everything except the official devices) are COMPLETELY
unsupported. In other words, you're on your own, and any requests for help
to this list will be ignored. Because, you know, community. That being
said, good luck in your efforts.

>> On Feb 11, 2015 3:24 PM, "Vladislav Evgeniev" <v.evgeniev@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>>> Dear All,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to port Ubuntu Touch for Motorola Photon Q.
>>>
>>> I followed the deprecated porting guide and built and uploaded an image
to the phone.
>>> The phone bootloops with my image (recovery mode works).
>>> I checked the last_kmsg file, which contains the following:
>>>
>>> [    4.291011,1] initrd: boot mode: ubuntu
>>> [    4.339081,1] initrd: mounting system.img (user mode)
>>> [    4.375888,1] EXT3-fs (loop1): error: couldn't mount because of
unsupported optional features (40)
>>> [    4.417305,1] EXT2-fs (loop1): error: couldn't mount because of
unsupported optional features (40)
>>> [    4.450480,1] EXT4-fs (loop1): mounted filesystem with ordered data
mode. Opts: (null)
>>> [    4.466503,1] initrd: device is moto_msm8960
>>> [    4.608850,0] resout_irq_handler PMIC Initiated shutdown
>>> [    4.608972,0] PMIC Initiated shutdown cpu_power_off cpu=0
>>> [    4.608972,1] PMIC Initiated shutdown cpu_power_off cpu=1
>>> [    4.609125,0] Powering off the SoC
>>> [    4.609217,0] Calling scm to disable arbiter
>>> [    4.609339,0] SCM returned even when asked to busy loop rc=-4
>>> [    4.609400,0] waiting on pmic to shut msm down
>>>
>>> Can someone please tell me what might be wrong with the image? And in
general, is there a troubleshooting guide somewhere?