Re: webapps and automated cache expiration

On Mon, 2015-02-23 at 16:35 +0100, Oliver Grawert wrote:

> after now about 3 months of constant use of my bq phone, i took a deeper
> look on the weekend at the accumulated cache data:
>
> phablet@ubuntu-phablet:~$ du -hcs .local/share
> 2,0G	.local/share

Seems really odd that these are in ~/.local/share ? Shouldn't it be
~/.cache ? I don't think we should ever autoexpire anything in
~/.local/share because that's in theory where user data lives.

> should we perhaps have some auto expiration of cache files for (web)apps
> here ?

In general, I think we should allow apps to maintain their own cache.
But perhaps we could delete the cache directories of apps that haven't
been used in say a week? If we're not running an app, it won't have a
chance to clean up on its own. This should be pretty easy to implement
if there's agreement that we want it, we're already tracking app usage,
just about adding a job to check the usage and clean up.

Ted