Re: Themes on the phone

On 24/03/15 11:07, David Planella wrote:

Hi Alan,

I think the answer here is simply that the roadmap for the HTML5 story for the first phones has focused on providing a working Ambiance theme to match the QML theme rather than having an extensible theme framework.
Could at least some of the sass stuff be generated by reading whatever the QML SystemPalette values are, so at least the HTML stuff stands a chance of looking like the QML apps when the theme changes?

In terms of shipping the Ambiance theme locally in the click package, I'm not sure this is something that we're recommending in the documentation. I know that we are looking at making it easier for developers to fetch the HTML5 Ambiance theme corresponding to a given framework, so that they can ship it in their clicks if they want to do so, but I'm not aware of conversations about making this the preferred option.

The webapps folks can probably give us more insights here.

    I was kind of hoping that remote web applications could reference
    the theme assets of the device through some kind of Sass include,
    so I could write something like an admin module for Wordpress or
    Joomla or Vtiger or Odoo or Alfresco so that when you log on to
    your instance of this software on your Ubuntu server from your
    Ubuntu phone everything looks as native as the dialler, flip the
    theme on your phone and all your open source remote web apps
    respect that theme change. It now seems that there is, and will
    be, no theme changing on the phone, which is a bit odd, I was
    expecting to do something like <link
    href="http://localhost/ubuntutheme.css";> to pick up a Sass or less
    compiled stylesheet that reflected the currently selected theme of
    the device.

I'll defer commenting on how this could be accomplished with webapps to the experts, but could you not do this today already by writing an HTML5 "admin" app (as opposed to a remote webapp) that uses the Wordpress, Joomla or whichever API?
well that means that user would have to decide to install it on the handset, configure it to point at their server, turn on the XML api on their server for Wordpress and manage updates to their local device application separately to their server. Doing it all server-side makes a heap more sense to me - and I can get an Ubuntu Phone enhancement module in the vtiger and the Joomla! marketplace and so on, no need to worry about synchronising API versions between client and server, massively reduced maintenance, and it is all just HTML and CSS, nobody needs to learn QML and c++. I am really not interested in writing native local apps that need installing, I want it to just work and for various free software applications and a free software device to be optimised for each other. The thing is there is very little user-value in convergence, but loads in synergy. If the Ubuntu Phone is the most awesome handset to have if you use Free Software on the server then that is a great reason to use it. If your phone runs the same desktop shell as your laptop then that is kinda interesting, but not compelling.

Alan.