Re: mobile network: 2G/3G option loses connection after idling

On 04/01/2015 12:31 PM, Panagiotis - Dimitris Antoniadis wrote:
Hello everyone,

This concerns the bq device, which I'm using all the time now, and for
the most part of the day I'm connected to the cellular network. (the
available protocol options for wifi don't work for me yet).

So when I have the 2g/3g option enabled, and I leave the phone on the
side for a while (locked etc. etc.), when I pick it up, it is not
connected. Apparently it shuts-down the connection to save itself some
battery or pointless kB consumption, but it doesn't go back up.
On the other hand when I have the 2G-only option enabled, it works
slowly, but it works all the time.

I filled a bug report here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntuphone/+bug/1436411

Thanks for filing the bug, and sorry for your inconvenience. I've updated the bug, and asked you a few questions in my last comment.

It's odd that you only see the problem when the phone is set to 2g/3g vs. just 2g. That leads me to believe that the problem may have something to do with 3g coverage of your operator.

If you have more than one SIM installed in the phone, you might be hitting the following bug:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/canonical-devices-system-image/+bug/1413672

Which is currently being tested for release with the next OTA update.

... But I was surprised I didn't see any other users experiencing the
same problem.

Anyone has a nice solution that I haven't thought of yet?

We need to determine what the problem is first, before we can release a solution.

Regards,
/tony