Re: power consumption

On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 11:09 AM, Matthias Apitz <guru@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have to questions related to power consumption:
>
> It seems that the device is never fully in suspend mode. Even with the
> display switched off it is alive and, for example, responding on ping or
> SSH. Is this by intention?

The device gets in deep suspend mode only when wifi is not actively
used. When you're pinging or actively using the phone via SSH, the
driver will hold a wakelock and block suspend.

You can check for how long the device was actually suspended by
checking your /var/log/syslog. Check bug
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/powerd/+bug/1372413 as well
(like comment #3), as there is already a tool that can parse your
syslog give you the info you need.

> How can I read, i.e. from which file, the actual power values, like
> charging rate, power consumption in V and mA? Or is there even an app for
> this? Or I could write something to log this to a file...

Upower exports the battery percentage and voltage via DBUS (signals),
so that is one way.
phablet@ubuntu-phablet:~$ upower -d
Device: /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/battery_battery
  native-path:          battery
  power supply:         yes
  updated:              Tue 07 Apr 2015 01:06:49 AM BRT (7 seconds ago)
  has history:          yes
  has statistics:       yes
  battery
    present:             yes
    rechargeable:        yes
    state:               charging
    warning-level:       none
    energy:              0 Wh
    energy-empty:        0 Wh
    energy-full:         0 Wh
    energy-full-design:  0 Wh
    energy-rate:         0 W
    voltage:             4.221 V
    percentage:          92%
    temperature:         25 degrees C
    capacity:            100%
    technology:          lithium-ion
    icon-name:          'battery-full-charging-symbolic'
  History (charge):
    1428379539    92.000    charging

Another way is going directly at
/sys/devices/platform/battery/power_supply/battery/ and checking the
files  'capacity' and 'voltage_now'.

Ricardo Salveti de Araujo