Re: Ubuntu Store – application order

Hi Rodney,

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply to my post.
I think I should have explained better what I wanted.

My point isn't to display a second rating like the unofficial app store
currently does. I think it is fine to display the arithmetical average in
the search results.
However, I'd vote for not using that as the only parameter for sorting. In
my opinion, the store should also consider the number of reviews an
application has to calculate its position in the search results.

The heart rating is described the following way in the FAQ of Brian's app
store:

The heart rating is similar to the star rating, but it rewards apps for
> having more good reivews. An app with more 5 star ratings will have a
> higher heart rating than an app with only a few 5 star ratings.
> Heart ratings are calculated from the star rating where a 5 star review is
> 1 heart point, 4 stars = 0.5 hears, 3 stars = 0 hears, 2 stars = -0.5
> hears, and 1 star = -1 hears.
> It is possible to have a negative heart rating.

I mentioned it to give an example of a value that could be used for sorting
the applications.
Indeed, it wouldn't change much for apps without any reviews besides the
fact that they will rank higher than apps with primarily negative reviews.

To give another example of a value that could be used for sorting, we could
have a look at the way Brian's app store calculates the average star
ratings:

The star rating is the Bayesian average of the star ratings that user give
> to an app when they leave a review. The Bayesian average allows apps with
> more reviews to rank better than apps with less reviews. The star rating
> can be between 1 and 5, where a 0 means that there have not been any
> reviews yet. For more information about the Bayesian average calculation,
> check out this article <http://fulmicoton.com/posts/bayesian_rating/>.

As pointed out in the article the description refers to, it makes sense to
use something else than the arithmetical average.
The store doesn't have to display that calculated value. It can still
display the arithmetical average. However, the search algorithm could be
smarter than it is today.

Cheers,
Niklas