Ubuntu-Components - getting bottom edge toolbar to work

Hi all,

My qml app uses MainView and a PageStack with 3 pages.
The documentation seems to suggest that there should be a bottom-edge
toolbar with a back button by default, but I never see this (obviously
trying to swipe up from the botom of the screen on the pushed pages).

Instead, things I add into "tools" seem to appear in the header.
For example, if I copy the third chunk of example code from the following
page into my app:
https://developer.ubuntu.com/api/qml/sdk-14.10/Ubuntu.Components.MainView/
I get two buttons in the header bar (not a bottom-edge toolbar) which
control the rectangle's colour.

If I add the permanent cancel button suggested here:
https://developer.ubuntu.com/api/qml/sdk-14.10/Ubuntu.Components.ToolbarItems/
ie:

        tools: ToolbarItems {
            back: Button {
                text: "cancel"
            }
        }

Nothing appears. Perhaps hidden by the page title in the header.

I notice that the Beru app uses "PageWithBottomEdge" from the Ubuntu
Component Store but that seems like overkill for me as I only really
need a back button...

Any ideas?

Regards,
Darren