Re: Scope previews

H Thomas, thanks for your reply - my responses below:

On 29/05/15 22:49, Thomas Strehl wrote:
Hi,

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 12:25 PM, Mitchell Reese <dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Firstly, thanks to all the devs working on the scopes - they've
    come a long way and are getting really usable. Secondly, the
    search and display of local scopes on a device needs work.

    Currently I can swipe up from my phone to view all my scopes. The
    favourites have their own area, and the rest of the scopes have
    theirs. So far so good.

    The issue comes with having lots of scopes installed - at the
    moment in my favourites I have 15 scopes - all of which get used
    to varying degrees. Aside from those, I have 42 other scopes
    installed. Searching through these to find something NOT in my
    favourites is tedious.

Is this a regular use case for you to frequently use unfavorited scopes?
Normally I use favorited scopes - the issue is when I'm looking for something NOT in my favorites - currently I'm presented with a cluttered interface. Grouping them by category might help.

    There is nothing to differentiate between scope aggregators
    (parent scopes) and scope sources (child scopes). This leads to a
    cluttered view, with no information as to how I can find scopes
    that use other scopes. I.e: with the default BQ images, there is
    the Today scope, with the calls, messages, etc., all of which have
    their own scopes. At the moment there's nothing to inform a user
    that the Calls and Messages scopes get used by the Today scope,
    etc. This also happens with the Food Aggregator Scope, default
    News Aggregator Scope, etc.

That's by design. On a certain level we don't differentiate between aggregators and what you call child scopes - for the scopes machinery it's all just scopes. This also means there is no two level hierarchy, but aggregator scopes can also aggregate other aggregators and so forth. Only the aggregator knows (or have a rough idea when using scope tagging/keyword) which scopes it queries, but the "child scope" usually do not know and shouldn't know who aggregates them. This keeps everything highly flexible and would allow us to eventually also enable consumers to define their own aggregators which would be quite powerful. With that, any scope may or may not be aggregated by any other scope, so a Call or Messages scope cannot know their aggregators up front.
That makes sense. I'm not sure then how to provide a better experience - right now it feels cluttered and not well presented. I think your idea of categories could work, and perhaps aggregators having larger icons than the others - or even having a seperate section for aggregators. I think this could include all aggregator scopes - even aggregators of aggregators, etc.

    I know this area is under heavy development, and I look forward to
    seeing the next iteration of work. I think a better workflow would
    be to have 3 seperate areas, with different size icons to
    differentiate them - i.e., the Favourites (up the top, or on a
    separate page), the Aggregator Scopes (Large icons in the middle),
    and the Child/information Scopes (smaller icons at the bottom).

That might be one option, another one would be to categorize scopes by contextual areas, e.g. by reusing scope keywords like "news", "music" etc.
Yep, love this idea. Trying to get a handle on scope keywords myself - looking forward to seeing where this is going.

Thomas