ANN: Stable phone overlay bug management, changes mailing list

Hello everyone,

An announcement related to the Stable Phone Overlay PPA that we're using
for Ubuntu Touch development. Should be of interest only to developers.

* How does bug management for the Overlay PPA look like?

Since the vivid-overlay is now the main focus for future-stable phones,
we need to have an easy way to manage the standard bug workflow.
Normally the archive auto-closes certain bugs on uploads, but since
we're dealing with a PPA the story is a bit different. The most
important thing to understand: Ubuntu Vivid bug tasks will *not* be
auto-closed on landings to the overlay PPA. The overlay PPA is not
vivid, so until the fix is back-ported to that series the task will
never be closed.

What should stable bugfixes target then?

The answer is: Ubuntu RTM tasks. This is the agreed way of labeling
stable targets. For every bug that you intend to fix in the stable
overlay, be sure to open up the Ubuntu RTM task - for instance: unity8
(Ubuntu RTM) for a bug in vivid Unity8 which will be fixed in the
overlay. Only this task will be auto-closed on package upload.

So please make sure to have your bugs set up with Ubuntu RTM tasks.

Documentation with all bug-management related topics:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/BugManagement

* Stable Phone Overlay changes ML

Also, since we started using the overlay PPA, we also seemingly lost the
ability to see what changes have appeared in the archive as opposed to
the main archive. There is currently no changes-ML-support for PPAs.

The LP team might implement that in the nearest future but since it's
not a priority, the Landing Team came up with a temporary solution. We
setup a specific open-LP-team and created a mailing list to use for
sending overlay changes.

LP Team: https://launchpad.net/~landing-team-changes
ML Archive: https://lists.launchpad.net/landing-team-changes/

To get changes e-mails on each upload to the stable overlay PPA simply
register to the provided team and subscribe to its mailing list.

Hope you find this information useful.

Best regards,

--
Łukasz 'sil2100' Zemczak