Re: [Development] Keyboard layout (Korean)

On Fri, Jun 5, 2015 at 12:46 PM, Jinook Oh <jinook0707@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> First of all, I'm new to the Ubuntu touch and also don't have experience
> in participating (although it's simply adding keyboard layout in this case)
> in big open source project.
>
> From the page you linked (
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-keyboard/+bug/1342981), I found that an
> advice saying that
> 'You could look at this MR which was for adding a Serbian keyboard and do
> something similar for Korean:
>
> https://code.launchpad.net/~danilo/ubuntu-keyboard/serbian-layout/+merge/229876
> '
>
> I branched, copied the Serbian keyboard files, edited it to Korean
> (although I had some doubts here and there).
> and pushed so that now it's here.
> https://code.launchpad.net/~jinook0707/ubuntu-keyboard/add-korean-layout
>
> But shouldn't I test it with my phone or simulator first? If so, how can I
> do it? I was hoping to find some guide document about testing this new
> layout, but I failed to find.
>
> Can you tell me what would be the next step?

You need to add a few more files, including a special file which describes
what should appear when you press a particular key.
If you check at
https://code.launchpad.net/~danilo/ubuntu-keyboard/serbian-layout/+merge/229876
and specifically the end of the page,
you can see in green boxes the parts that you need to add for Korean.

However, for the case of Korean, I think that there are a few
technicalities.
Specifically, for Chinese, the keyboard layout is found in the "pinyin"
subdirectory,
https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~phablet-team/ubuntu-keyboard/trunk/files/head:/plugins/pinyin/

How do you normally type Korean on a phone? Do you type in a romanised
layout which is then converted
into Korean characters? Like in http://www.lexilogos.com/keyboard/korean.htm
?

If so, you would need to start with the existing pinyin files and adapt for
Korean.

Simos