Re: [ubuntu-phone] Offline routing application - Publishing problems

On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 3:25 PM, Jamie Strandboge <jamie@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
* should we create a restricted 'maps' policy group that allows '~/Maps' and '/media/.../Maps' like how the gallery current owns '~/Pictures'? The question then is, who is the actual owner of Maps (ie, osmscout isn't like
   gallery)?

Others have opined that this is not the right solution in this particular case. I'd like to argue that this is not the right solution in general. The need for apps to share data without user interaction is very real, whether it's ebook readers having immediate access to all ebooks, a slideshow having access to all pictures, or a mapping application having access to all cached map data. Making a special policy group and a special blessed application for that group is not an extensible solution.

I'm not sure what the solution to this problem is, but I do think it needs to be solved. It's more than is necessary to solve this particular issue with mapping, but solving it would solve this and many related problems all in one fell swoop.

Robert