Re: Development Process Organisation

On Fri, Jun 12, 2015 at 12:36 AM, Bastien <b@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> And then regarding the apps I would like to understand the process of
> getting an app into the store. Since the only way I know is the apt
> packages with maintainers... What role plays Ubuntu / Canonical and the
> community.

I can reply to this one.

To create apps for the Ubuntu Store, you need to make a 'click' package.
Once you do that, you can post the click package to
https://myapps.developer.ubuntu.com/dev/click-apps/ and wait for the app to
be reviewed, then added to the Ubuntu Store.
In most cases, the review will be fully automated, so it will take place in
a few seconds. That's the case for most simple apps like the webapps.
Once your app has been accepted, you can view it at
https://uappexplorer.com/ (after a few hours, on the next package update)
and feel proud about it.

Now, how do you create those 'click' packages?

The easiest way to experience the process, is to use the webapp generator
at https://developer.ubuntu.com/webapp-generator/
Here, you need to provide the URL of a mobile website and then fill in the
rest of the details.
You can check the list at https://uappexplorer.com/ whether the mobile
website has already been added.

For a bit more involved experience, you can use the Ubuntu SDK (
https://developer.ubuntu.com/en/start/ubuntu-sdk/)
to create the app. It comes with an emulator, so you can test the app (app,
webapp, scope, etc) even without a device.

Simos