Re: Updates and channels?

Hello!

W dniu 16.06.2015 o 22:14, lgd pisze:
> Hello,
>
> I use channel vivid-proposed(-customized) on my BQ and install updates
> via apt-get. But I got no new features since weeks like in the new
> stable OTA-4 (tethering and so on). And I got no OTA-4 changes today at
> this moment.

First of all, generally it's not really a good idea to mix apt-get
upgrades with OTA upgrades. The whole philosophy of OTA updates is that
the core-components of the system are read-only and only updated by
system-image during OTA. If you modify packages as in a normal Ubuntu
system, well, there's no guarantee things will work after upgrading.

As for channels. The vivid-proposed channel is no longer supported and
should not be used. We dropped all series-specific channels some time
ago. Currently it's a redirect to the ubuntu-touch/devel-proposed/ubuntu
channel which is building out of wily images. The images there are very
risky.

> The situation is very confusing for now and maybe I'm not the only one
> who is confused about the channels and updates.

We have documentation regarding what channels are available and what's
their purpose:

https://developer.ubuntu.com/start/ubuntu-for-devices/image-channels/

> Questions:
> 1. Do I need the overlay PPA because vivid-proposed(-customized) is no
> longer really supported with new development changes?

First: as already mentioned, if you want to use OTA updates then don't
enable any custom repositories, OTA's work separately from the standard
apt-get operations. Second: enabling the overlay PPA won't do any good
in a vivid-proposed channel as it's building wily images, while our
stable phones are vivid based.

> 2. What's the new development channel: the overlay PPA or wily or both?
> What's recommended for old devel channel users?

The recommended channel for the BQ is ubuntu-touch/stable/bq-aquaris.en.
It's good to remember that a channel has nothing to do with a repository
or series, those two are separate beings.

> 3. Since the overlay PPA what's the difference between vivid-proposed
> (devel) and stable? Since OTA-4 the stable is vivid, too (not at my
> device) but I expected to get updates earlier then the stable but I got
> no tethering and so on until now. So vivid-proposed seems to be out of
> date behind the stable for now? Forever? Or because the use of apt-get?

OTA-4 is released to the ubuntu-touch/stable/* channels. Those images,
as already mentioned, are built from the vivid archive + the overlay
PPA. We have a channel that's auto-building daily images from what's
landing to those archives, it's the ubuntu-touch/rc-proposed/bq-aquaris.en.

We dropped the idea of per-series channels as Ubuntu Touch follows a
different release model - more similar to a rolling release. It's best
to reflash your image to the channel that you think is best suiting your
needs. We generally recommend the stable channels, as all the -proposed
ones can be broken without any notice.

> Greetings, lgd

Cheers!

--