Grid system's question

Hey there,

(I hope some of the designers are on this list ;-)

I've been reading the design blog entries about the grid system [1] [2]
and I'm trying to make sense of what is described.

The guidelines say that a panel should be 40/50/90 gus. What happens if
I'm using an application in "window mode" on a desktop and that its
width is 70gu, does it mean I should have 2 panels having respective
widths of 50gu and then 20gu?

That feels weird, if you take an example of an application listing
messages on the left and content on the right you get less space for the
content than for the titles.

You can imagine a similar example on a tablet in landscape mode. Taking
the blog example of a landscape of 90gu, the layout should be 40/50, but
what if my left panel is a list of short labels and I would only need
20gu to display them, does it mean I should use 40 anyway and waste the
space on the right of the layout for the actual content?

Did I understand the guideline correct or am I overlooking something there?

Cheers,
Sebastien Bacher

[1]
http://design.canonical.com/2015/05/to-converge-onto-mobile-tablet-and-desktop-think-grid-units/