Re: Developer support

I would like to thank you all for your replies. Its very kind of you to
take the time to reply.

Nicholas
I will upgrade my machine to Vivid to see if that helps. I assumed that
14.10 would be ok as all the
documentation states 14.04 onwards.

https://developer.ubuntu.com/en/start/ubuntu-sdk/installing-the-sdk/
https://developer.ubuntu.com/en/apps/qml/tutorials/building-your-first-qml-app/

I have read the introduction tutorials and followed them. I have written a
number of apps that are almost complete

The frustration stems from trying to read the Ubuntu SDK documentation,
where many links are dead and the examples incomplete or not working.

When laying out UI elements I normally follow the Qt documentation:

http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtquick-positioning-topic.html

Is there anything similar for Ubuntu?

I get a number of errors when using components such as column and row. Its
seems you can't use anchors with these
component and not all Ubuntu components can be placed in a row container.

My specific problem that caused my most recent meltdown was trying to
position a Label and Textfield in a Row below a OptionSelector that expands.

OptionSelector {}
Row{
Label{}
TextField{}
}

I get errors about using anchors if I use column and row. without anchors
everything is at the topleft or the label and textfield appear above the
optionselector.
The option selector doesn't seem to work when placed in a row.

*David*
The issues I have with the SDK are as follows:

- No Component Images. I don't understand what the UI components are from
the description alone and i have to use the UIToolkit Gallery to workout
which components I want. The UIToolKit gallery seems outdated.
- SDK Links. There are alot of broken links in the documentation some that
link to an ubuntu page asking the user to file a bug report. some link to a
404 on the Qt site.
- Examples. A number of the example don't work or are incomplete. The
imports seem to be different to my system. QtQuick 2.4 and ubuntu.component
1.2 don't exist, I have updated the SDK.
- Search function is very limited. Unless you know what you are looking for
its very difficult to use the search. When searching in the 15.04
components some 14.10 information was returned in the search. 'Apps QML SDK
15.04' was listed at the top of the results but the link went to some 14.10
components.

I understand that I 'just' need to file a bug report for these things but
when I am trying to work on an app in the hour or so that I have free in an
evening spending 10 mins filing bugs is very disruptive and frustrating.

Empty Pages:
https://developer.ubuntu.com/en/apps/qml/tutorials/how-write-rss-reader/
https://developer.ubuntu.com/en/apps/qml/tutorials/rss-reader-layout/

Picker example masks selected text:
https://developer.ubuntu.com/api/apps/qml/sdk-15.04/Ubuntu.Components.Pickers.Picker/

*Andrea*
I will log into IRC today and try to ask some questions during the European
work day. The trouble is that I work on Ubuntu during the evening which is
when I need the help.

Thanks,

Dan