Designer Input / Ideas

I've been working on a CAD like drawing application for viewing dxf and svg
files. All the apps I have tried in the past have been awful to use on a
small screen [1] [2].

My initial thought was to limit the functionality on a smaller screen to
viewing only and then show drawing and modification tools when in desktop
mode. With the help of Nik90 I have used a bottom edge panel for the
drawing tools and it works brilliant on a phone size display and I would
like to investigate using a phone to perform drawing tasks.

Are there any designers that have experience with this type of app or would
like to discuss potential ideas for improving usability on smaller screens?

The main problem is accuracy when using fingers to select points or
existing elements.

Thanks,

Dan

[1]