Re: openjdk vs Oracle's jdk

On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 7:40 AM, Alan Pope <alan.pope@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2 July 2015 at 12:38, Mauricio Tavares <raubvogel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>>

>>> For what purpose?
>>>
>>       For the purpose of building ubuntu phone OS images and applications.
>>

> We don't use Java in our build of Ubuntu phone.
>
> You can of course use Java in your own applications, and would need to
> figure out yourself which is the most appropriate for your use case
> based on compatibility, performance, license compliance etc.

      I see. That is good to know. When I ran lunch (going through
https://developer.ubuntu.com/en/start/ubuntu-for-devices/porting-new-device/
to validate my setup), I got a message stating I needed jdk tools
(note the options are different from the ones shown in
https://developer.ubuntu.com/en/start/ubuntu-for-devices/porting-new-device/#dev-setup;
don't know why):

developer@ubuntuphone:~/phablet$ lunch

You're building on Linux

Lunch menu... pick a combo:
     1. full-eng
     2. full_x86-eng
     3. vbox_x86-eng
     4. full_mips-eng
     5. mini_armv7a_neon-userdebug
     6. mini_armv7a-userdebug
     7. cm_goldfish-eng
     8. cm_goldfish-userdebug
     9. cm_goldfish-user
     10. mini_mips-userdebug
     11. mini_x86-userdebug
     12. full_panda-userdebug

Which would you like? [full-eng] 7
[...]
build/core/config.mk:349: *** Error: could not find jdk tools.jar,
please install JDK6, which you can download from java.sun.com.  Stop.
Device goldfish not found. Attempting to retrieve device repository
from phablet.ubuntu.com and then from CyanogenMod Github
(http://github.com/CyanogenMod).
Found repository: android_device_generic_goldfish
Default revision: phablet-trusty

That went away when I installed the openjdk:

apt-get install openjdk-6-jdk

Let me then find out what I am doing wrong. Thanks for the help!