Re: [ubuntu-phone] media-player, missing audio on some mkv-video files

Hi Gerd,

On 07/23/2015 08:52 PM, Gerd Sänger wrote:

> has someone any idea for the issue on certain mkv-formats on bq-aquaris 4.5?
>
> What is playing:
> h.264 Video in mkv-container (1280x720, 25 f/s and audio MPEG AAC mp4a),
>
> What is not playing:
> h.264 Video in mkv-container (1280x720, 50 f/s and audio AC3 Stereo 160kb/s)

Can you provide some publicly available sample videos that don't play?
The following services might be good sources:

http://www.demo-world.eu/2d-demo-trailers-hd/

http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/

> Am I missing codecs? Should I file a bug or is it already known?

I have a list of supported formats and codecs (should update it for
OTA-5!) at
http://sturmflut.github.io/ubuntu/bq/2015/05/31/hacking-the-bq-part-3-supported-media-plugins-and-codecs/
. MKV with H.264 and AC3 should be supported.

There is a very old bug report I opened last year that could be related,
https://bugs.launchpad.net/touch-preview-images/+bug/1356587 . I just
retried some of the files from back then on my Aquaris E4.5 and all seem
to play correctly now.

> I waited for OTA 5, but no change yet, what a pity.

We can't read minds ;) If your issue isn't known and planned to be fixed
with an OTA, then waiting for an OTA will most likely not fix it.

cheers,
Simon