High costs due to SMS being sent multiple times when having a bad network connection

Hi all,

I just found a costly bug while looking through my provider's monthly
reports. I'm posting it here to raise awareness and warn my fellow Ubuntu
phone users from sending messages when they don't have a reliable network
connection.

Here's a quote from the bug report I filed [1]:

> When having a bad network connection, Ubuntu tries to send SMS multiple
> times but fails to recognize which messages have already been sent,
> resulting in very high costs due to the same message actually being sent
> several times.
>
> I found this when looking through my provider's monthly reports and I
> remember being on train journeys with very bad network connections on these
> days. See the attached screenshots.

To be honest, I'm really disappointed that this could happen at all.

Cheers,
Niklas

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/telephony-service/+bug/1480554