Re: HERE maps

hi,

Am Montag, den 03.08.2015, 16:58 +0200 schrieb Matthias Apitz:
> El da Monday, August 03, 2015 a las 04:54:12PM +0200, Krzysztof Tataradziński escribi:
>
> > Yes, it's about 'our' HERE maps. But I don't think that it would have some
> > big impact (for Ubuntu) in the near future.
>
> It's not 'our' and in any case not my service, because I have disabled
> it completely on my BQ E4.5. I do not want such proprieaty service on my
> phone which wants to have access to my location and about which we do
> not know what it is doing in detail.

so you prefer to wait 20min for a GPS fix instead ?

the main function HERE gives us is the AGPS DB so that you get GPS fixes
in seconds instead of in minutes (the "HERE app" is just a nice side
thing here). The AGPS functionality is simply not possible to implement
without having 1000s of cars driving around for you and to bind them to
locations and wlans, so getting this assignment data costs money. This
db is paid for by the phone vendor and canonical for you to make the
service actually usable.

ciao
	oli