Re: Ubuntu Touch Lock Screen Concept

Thank you for the reply, Michael.

> yes, we experimented a bit back in 2013 with different lock screens
> (also talking about this one) but none of the experiments turned out
> good enough. In the end we postponed this topic for a while.

So, does that mean we can revise the discussion?

Lucas Romero's design has a few wonderful aspects that can set Ubuntu
Touch apart from competing platforms. It's a perfect continuation of
the circle design on the lock screen. In fact, at the moment there is
the circle and to unlock you slide (!) the lock screen to the left or
the right. That devalues the circle design completely. Personally, I
feel this may lead to a decision to remove the "strange idea" (as
supporters may say then) "of the circle on the lock screen" one day.

The circle on the lock screen should stay firm all the time, and the
circle should be used for unlocking. Be it with gestures, or a PIN. A
passphrase would probably need a keyboard to pop up, because it's for
people who really want to type. The gesture proposed by Lucas Romero
actually resembles a dial combination lock safe.

And nothing is really complicated about his approach. On his blog he
mentions there has been some critics, but without getting into arguing
I feel his design can be both beautiful and easy to use. There are of
course many other possibilities (see [3], for example), but a circle
design as his final no. 3 design [1] would be a distinguished default
lock screen for Ubuntu Touch.

When can this be revisited?
Peter

[1] http://lucasromerodb.blogspot.com.ar/2013/07/ubuntu-touch-unlock-screen-concept_9.html