Re: [Development] Override user agent string in WebApp

Push notifications for webapps is not supported yet.

Only Gmail and Twitter currently have some ad-hoc support via the
account-polld service.

Generic push notifications for webapps is in development, with 2 branches
currently lined up for review and integration in Oxide:
- https://code.launchpad.net/~zaspire/oxide/web-notifications_v2 - support
for basic W3C notifications, mostly when the application is *active*
- https://code.launchpad.net/~zaspire/oxide/push-messaging - that's the
real push notifications, based on the recently adopted W3C proposal

When both get integrated, Webapps and HTML5 apps will be able to use the
APIs to integrate with the Ubuntu Push Notification service.

But understand that at this point you will need to also get /server-side/
support for your app.

If you control both ends, ie you develop the webapp frontend, and manage
the server as well, then you will be able to receive client registrations,
route messages down to the Ubuntu end-point and to the individual devices
and end-users.

But if you only control the view, like most webapp-container based apps,
then you will only be able to see regular, in-app, notifications, to the
extent supported by the originating site. And only when the app. lifecycle
has your application running. This is why the push notification framework
exists. To complement an application when it is not running.

The mobile world works on the assumption that an app or a device are not
constantly active and connected. And I think the converged desktop will
benefit from that evolution by not taking it for granted that the
application is always on and always connected. Even for webapps which so
far had been the epytome of that paradigm (!).