But don't equal this work with losing all of the mentioned features. We're just moving to smarter and more efficient ways of doing things.

Regards,
   Christian

Am Fr, 14. Aug, 2015 um 4:47 schrieb nick luigi eusebio <kugi_igi@xxxxxxxxx>:
I think currently when you are in windowed mode, apps are not suspended
and all runs simultaneously except I think the browser.
This is what I noticed on my Nexus 7 so everything seems
a lot more sluggish when in windowed mode. :)
Now my question too, is how application confinement and multiple application instance
will be handled.

From: Mitchell Reese <dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: ubuntu-phone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, August 14, 2015 8:06 AM
Subject: Re: [Ubuntu-phone] [Development] Override user agent string in WebApp

So what's the plan then for convergence? I get that battery life is important for phones and tablets - heck, probably many IOT devices as well. Battery life however is NOT crucial for desktop machines, and probably never will be. What is crucial however is real multi-tasking...

I get why Ubuntu Touch devices currently have awesome battery life - I get application confinement, and I understand the concept of having background services on an OS level that apps can plug into. Very clean and neat. What I don't currently understand is what will happen on desktops, or with a phone when docked.

I'm typing this on my "insecure" laptop running 15.04, with no application confinement. I have multiple browser tabs open, all of which are doing something. I have several terminals open with scrolling text, with processes I can peek at when I want to know what's going on. I have 4 downloads happening in the background, and an email client across 5 accounts that is constantly checking for emails. When I open a window and start a process, I know that it continues without me staring at it the whole time.

How does pausing an application's process when it's not in focus add to the current desktop usage scenario that most users now expect? My laptop is plugged in with a cable right now - battery life isn't important. How is Ubuntu Personal going to address this? There's no way we can compete with Windows and Apple - let alone most other Linux Distros, if multi-tasking goes the way of the Dodo. Would love to hear how this is going to be addresses - think Ubuntu on my Nexus & BQ devices is truly awesome - but the same concept on the desktop? Meh... I'm waiting to be convinced.

Cheers,

Mitchell