Re: Preparing for larger images

On Aug 27, 2015, at 08:56 AM, Sergio Schvezov wrote:

>This could be solved with having an entry in channels.ini

We should really get touch on system-image 3.0.  I think it doesn't help us
that snappy and touch use different versions of this tool.  In si 3.0, this
would be a set in a file in /etc/system-image/config.d

>(if it is not there already)

[updater]cache_partition is the variable that determines where the downloads
will be saved.  [updater]data_partition too, but that's usually just for the
GPG blacklists, so you can probably ignore this.

>with the preferred storage location for updates and have all clients respect
>that. I just say channels.ini because it is common to all, there may be a
>better location.
>
>The recovery script may not need to know about this

It will, but only in the sense that recovery's partition should be
bind-mounted to whatever [updater]cache_partition is set to.  They're
different file system locations in these two different "views" so they have to
eventually agree or recovery won't find the necessary files.  Although, as I
mentioned, it *would* be possible to write a custom apply hook that moves
things in place before reboot is invoked.

Still, it seems like if the actual physical partition is too small for some
images, it's the underlying cache partition that's the problem, so it might
not matter where you bind-mount it to.

Cheers,
-Barry