Re: Preparing for larger images

On Aug 27, 2015, at 07:17 AM, Thomas A. Moulton wrote:

>From watching the various updates my Tablet (flo) has received, aren't
>the OTA updates deltas? If so, then would it be expected to have >500MB
>of changes between updates often? In the most recent update I think I
>saw about 148MB downloaded.

That does speak to a few other possible options.  system-image-cli (although
not really the D-Bus API) supports a --filter flag that can be set to full or
delta, to force one or the other choices in candidate path upgrades.  You
could force a full upgrade which was less than the highest, where the
subsequent deltas would contain only libreoffice.  That might make the
individual downloads fit within the partition size, at the cost of a two-step
upgrade.

It's also possible to flip the bootme flag on the server.  This would affect
how the upgrades are downloaded and installed.  A candidate upgrade path
through a bootme flag will still be calculated, but the upgrade will stop at
the image with the bootme, apply that, and then a subsequent upgrade could
apply the libreoffice delta.  Again, the cost is a two-step upgrade through a
reboot.

Cheers,
-Barry