Can't flash my Arale (tried a bunch of different suggestions)

Hi folks,

I have an early 2011 17" MacBook Pro and one of the earlier Arale devices.

I've tried a bunch of suggestions to get this Arale flashed.

I have tried:

   - Flashing normally from Ubuntu
   - Flashing using udbflash from OSX
   - Flashing from a VMware Ubuntu install

In terms of hardware I have tried:

   - A whole bunch of different USB cables. The device is now only visible
   to my Mac when I use a rather short Anker branded 1ft USB cable. Any longer
   than that and it's a no-show.
   - USB (2.0) HUB, powered and unpowered.
   - All the ports on my MacBook.
   - Waiting until the devices are cool (in-case it was some quirky thermal
   management thing).

This also happens with some regularity on my other MediaTek device, the
krillin. However flashing my Mako is totally reliable.

Some of the highlights of my logs: http://paste.ubuntu.com/12307654/

I had to modify udbflash to get useful errors out. Originally it was just
swallowing the standard IO and not reporting it back. But what this reveals
is that:

   - Sometimes "fastboot flash recovery XXX" fails.
   - Sometimes "fastboot format cache" fails.
   - Sometimes when booting into recovery ADB never connects. However I can
   work around this by unplugging and quickly replugging the device when it
   gets into recovery.
   - The larger UDB file pushes always fail before getting to the end. The
   amount of progress they make varies each time.

I also tried modifying the flash tool to "adb push" the files serially
instead of in parallel, and this didn't help either.

I have a co-worker who also cannot flash his Krillin in the same manner as
I cannot flash my Arale. This is with an Ubuntu supported Dell laptop.

As I work on the network indicator, at the moment I cannot debug any issues
present on the Arale, so this is a pretty big deal to me.

Please help!

Thanks, Pete

Follow ups