Fwd: [Ubuntu-touch-coreapps] [ubuntu-system-settings] GSM codes handling broken in system-settings, dialer-app, or address-book-app

Forwarding to a more appropriate list.

Peter, probably best to bring these things up here on ubuntu-phone list.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Peter Bittner <peter.bittner@xxxxxxx>
Date: 16 September 2015 at 22:04
Subject: [Ubuntu-touch-coreapps] [ubuntu-system-settings] GSM codes
handling broken in system-settings, dialer-app, or address-book-app
To: ubuntu-touch-coreapps@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I've been noticing a bug with GSM codes for a while. It was already
there before OTA-5. Now I'm unsure where to file the bug, because I
can't tell which app is the offending party.

How to reproduce the bug:

- I'm trying to use a GSM code stored on my SIM card. Namely, it's a
code to query the current credit on the SIM (*147#).
- When I go to the Dialer and I press the Contacts icon, that leads me
to the Contacts app ... where I can't find the SIM codes. (see below
why I mention this)
- When I go back to the Dialer and I press the Settings icons, that
leads me to the Phone screen in the System settings.
- I continue with Services on my first SIM card. (Good! All the
numbers I expect are listed: service numbers and GSM codes of my
network provider.)
- When I select an obvious GSM code ("Mobile Balance") a detail page
opens with a "Call" button at the bottom. When I press this button the
Dialer app opens with the GSM code *but* with the last character (hash
code) *missing", i.e. "*147" instead of "*147#" is shown.
- Of course, when I place a call to this number the phone thinks it's
a regular, albeit short number and tries to perform a regular call.
Only when I append a "#" character in the end I can successfully send
the GSM code and received the reply (which work flawlessly).

That's obviously a bug, but which component is the affected one? The
sender (system-settings) or the receiver (dialer-app)? Then,
interestingly, there's no bug tracker configured in the
ubuntu-system-settings project.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-system-settings

A design comment: The dialog box being displayed for the answer from
my network provider has two action buttons, Cancel and OK. They both
seem to have the same function: dismiss the dialog. Probably a single
button, Close, would also do it.

Finally, I'd like to have easier access to the Service numbers on my
SIM card. At the moment I can only access them via the System Settings
> Phone > Services (of one of my SIM cards). It would be handy to have
them also in the Contacts app, e.g. via a special options menu (I
think that's how Android has got it, at least on my ancient Samsung
phone). An additional option in the Contact app's settings screen
could do it (I don't want to import the numbers from the SIM; I want
to use them, period.). I need those numbers only sometimes, and I
usually have a hard time remembering where to find them.

Thanks in advance for clarifying,
Peter