Re: Fixing Volume Controls

Hi Michael,

On 21 September 2015 at 09:30, Michael Zanetti
<michael.zanetti@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> * Make the hardware buttons always control the multimedia volume, that
> is, game sounds, music player etc but don't ever touch ringtone volume
> with them.

While this works for your specific use case of "Game is making noise
in a library", what if I'm in the library and my phone rings? I want
to reduce the volume quickly so the call goes to voicemail. If the
volume keys only work for multimedia then I can't quiet a ringing
phone.

> * Make the volume slider in the indicator always control the multimedia
> volume, never touch the ringtone volume.

Again, how do I reduce the volume of an incoming call?

> * Apps should always use the multimedia role, regardless of what they do
> (unless thy deal with actual calls or incoming messages).
>
> * Add a second "slider" to the indicators that controls ringtone volume.
> That slider could be a bit special tho, i.e. that it works more like a
> profile selector. 0 is "vibrate only", 1 is "beep" and all the greater
> values adjust volume of the ringtones.

This won't help if your phone is locked (and indicators aren't
accessible in one of our security settings).

> One thing I've not mentioned here yet are alarms. Alarms, again
> could/should have their own role. But one never controls that role with
> either the buttons or a slider. Instead, each alarm has his own volume
> value assigned when the alarm is created, and an alarm is always played
> at the volume its config says (except maybe only vibrate when the phone
> profile is set to vibrate only - but those are small details we could
> work out on the road).
>
> IMO this behaviour would make the volume way more predictable,
> especially since one needs to use a slider in the indicators to change
> the ringtone volume but at the same time giving the user visual feedback
> on what the current volume is.

I'd rather we just did what Android does and have an icon in the
volume popup so you know what you're adjusting.

e.g. http://imgur.com/ggQdZBS (adjusting media volume) vs
http://imgur.com/3Y1vapF (adjusting alert volume).

Alan Pope
Community Manager