Re: Suspended Applications

Hi Macus,

On 21.09.2015 12:41, Marcus Moeller wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I tend to often switch between applications. On Ubuntu Phone, the
> applications are suspended which leads to the following effect:
>
> When I switch to an App it is first displayed in something like a sleep
> mode. The fonts look unsharp and fuzzy. It takes about 3-4 seconds for
> the app to wake up. During this time the app is not responding nor
> giving any thing (but the mentioned fuzziness) that it's waking up.

What you're seeing is apps stopped by memory management. When your phone
requires more memory, it will stop apps in the background. That will
result in only a low-resolution screenshot being kept around. When you
switch to that app again, it will be restarted.

> It would be great to have some kind of indication that the app resumes.

Yes, you're right that there should be some sort of indication. There's
a bug report for it and design has given a solution for this already. It
needs to be implemented in unity8 still.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity8/+bug/1378267

> I would also like to be able to define the amount of time after an app
> falls in sleep mode, but I guess that is not possible to the general
design.

The kernel will only start stopping apps when running out of memory. So
this hasn't anything to do with time really.

Br,
Michael